Monday, October 22, 2007

Ethical Leadership Or Would You Work Here?

There are many companies that a good amount of people would not be willing to work for and hold a leadership position in because they find their products or services to be unsavory or unethical. But, when I ask myself that question it leaves me in an indecisive state of mind.
If I was unemployed at the present time, I would not apply for a tobacco company because I hate cigarettes for many reasons. First of all, they are unhealthy and many people die from them. Also, I can not stand the smell of it and I am a heavily believer of second hand smoking. But what if I was offered a position with a pay that I was looking for, what do I do then? That is tough question for me to answer.
Several questions will then run through my mind with that one question asked. One, is if I work for a company that is selling something I feel is bad for customers, am I supporting it? Am I willing to work for an unethical company just because the pay and position is what I am looking for? My answer to all these questions is no, I would not decide to work for a company that sells something that kills people everyday.
But what if a position came along from a beer company like Heineken, would I work for them? I would probably say sure why not. Why would I say yes, because I am an occasional drinker and I think it is not so bad? Well I am wrong by saying yes. Everyday more and more people die from drunk driving. But, now when I look at it like that I would probably say no, I would not work for a beer company either.
Since I would not work for a beer or tobacco company, is it wrong that people do work for these types of companies? No, it is not. Even though as I stated I can not stand cigarettes, do I want that business to fail? I would say yes why not. But then should a beer company be ban from business? No, because what would I do if I can not have a beer here and there. So, again I am wrong by wanting a beer company to continue and a tobacco company to fail.
Overall, I feel there is nothing wrong with working for an unethical company such as tobacco and alcohol. After brainstorming unethical companies, I would work for an unethical company after all. I would not go work in the marketing department but I would do something in my field such as the financials for the company and let them know where they stand. It is up to the other folks though of how they would want to increase or decrease their revenue.
But, the way I look at it, is if a person wants to use these services it is their choice. As stated in the Wall Street Journal, “the government hasn't come up with any proof that” the tobacco industry has used advertising as targets to smoke. (Gruber, 2005) With the advertisements, companies are not forcing people to go ahead and smoke or drink. It is all up to the customer with what they want to do.

There are even other companies out there such as fast food chains. They are unhealthy too. But, is someone putting a gun to the customers head and telling them to go eat a hamburger because it is so good. No, it is the customer’s decision if they decide to put that cigarette, drink or even hamburger in their mouth. My suggestion is if it does not bother you to work for an unethical company go ahead work for them. Do not let anyone stop you. It is your decision. The same way a person wants to use an unethical company’s service it is up to them.

Youth-Smoking Targets Sought. (2005, May 11). Wall Street Journal (Eastern Edition), p. D.4.

1 comment:

mgt 505 - nicole said...

I agree with your difficulty to decide between a good salary opportunity and the potential personal dilemma in ethics. I think that a big decision involving taking employment with an organization is closely examining their operations and products to make the determination on whether or not I would choose to work there. I guess it is one of those situational circumstances where you have to weigh all of the options. Employment is at will in this country, so if it doesn't work out there are thousands of companies in the world to work for with various disciplines.